Operating Dual Hob Induction Cooktops from Batteries
OPERATING DUAL INDUCTION
COOKTOP FROM INVERTER
AND LITHIUM BATTERIES
This article is designed to give assurance to the reader that the Safiery Dual Hob Induction Cooktop can operate automatically from the Victron 3000W Inverter/Charger and Lithium Batteries.
How an induction cooker is 94% efficient?
Conventional stove top cooking methods heat the pan through convection and conduction. The heated pan then heats the food. The food may not be evenly heated and it is common to stir or move around the food to cook evenly. Gas cooktops are 40% efficient typically. In the wind, it is far less.directly.
An induction cooker uses electricity and magnetism to make your pan the source of heat.
Pans that are cast iron are naturally excellent. Special ferrous metals are added to alloy pans to perform well with induction.
As soon as you turn on your induction cooktop on and it detects a pot or pan, the electric coils beneath the ceran glass surface generate a magnetic field. The magnetic field transfers energy very efficiently at 94% to the pot or pan directly. It uses no heat to transfer this. As the magnetic field changes direction at high speed, the metal particles oscillate and set up eddy currents. This causes the particles in your pots and pans to an extent that they become hot.
A simple demonstation of the high efficiency is the "cool to touch" induction glass top after you remove the cooking pot. The pot is hot but the glass top is cool!. Little energy wasted!
Induction cooking is:
- Fastest way to cook - 2min for 0.5L Water at 1800W
- 94% Efficient; compared to 40% for LPG and 70% Electric
- Safe and cool to touch after use
- Ceramic glass top - easy to clean
- Cool to touch immediately after use
- Induction pots and pans now commonplace and inexpensive
- Can be set at "slow cook" - walk away and enjoy the day without worry of open flame.
- Early models would cut out without large inverters
- Early models did not have temperature control for safe low temperature and "walk away" cooking.
And..... TWO Hot Plates may be needed Inside - not just a single.
- But there is a problem with an induction cooktop and two hot plates...
Induction Cooktop Problem
Hot Plate 1 Size
If On at 1,800W
Hot Plate 2 Size
If On at 1,500W
Total Power Size
Total Power 3,500W
Cooking Stops, Family not happy!
- Another problem is your 4WD/Camper trailer/Caravan may not be wired for more than 2,400W (10A).
- Electrical problems may follow.
- Maybe a serious safety hazzard.
Here is a solution... Read on
Introducing the Safiery 2 Hob Induction Cooktop
- Double induction built in
- German IGBT control
- German Schott Ceran High grade black crystal plate
- Touch Sensor controls
- Size: 520 x 290 mm
- Power Watts: 1800W+1500W
- Has Maximum combined output of 2800W to suit Victron 3000VA Inverter.
- Individual Controls
- Smart Power alert with Inverter
- Child Lock
- Booster function
- Auto Safe Switch off
- Over heat & empty pan safe off
- Cookware detection of
In the Video below, We have this equipment set up:
- Safiery Dual Hob Induction Cooktop
1800W and 1500W Hobs
Both hobs running
- Victron 3,000W Inverter or Inverter/Charger
12V, 24V or 48V
Using Lithium Batteries
- Safiery Smart Switch
Switches the AC Current input limit from Site Power to Generator
This Dual Hob will AUTOMATICALLY adjust the hob power level so that the two combined will be just a little less than the Inverter's maximum power. It is simple and easy to use. Watch in the video below.
The time it takes a solar panel array to replenish the energy used in a typical full evening meal is:
- Both Hobs running for a typical evening meal
About and hour for a 1,000W solar array to replenish
About 2 hours for a 500W solar array to replenish
The amout of battery capacity that is used in a typical full evening meal is:
- Direct from the Lithium Batteries
About 9% of the available capacity for a 600Ah bank
About 12% of the available capacity for a 400Ah bank
About 18% of the available capacity for a 300Ah bank
- Of course none from a powered site.
Lets watch the video proof here
The following video shows how the auto adjustment of the AC power input from site power to generator. For most inverter systems, making a change like this requires a remote control panel with the user dialling up the current limit. We have made it far easier: Just press a designated button on the Safiery Smart Switch and the AC Current limit changes automatically. There can be up to 3 settings.