Running Portable Generators
Generally portable generators are used to:
- Operate the airconditioner
- Charge the battery
- If wired directly to the AC site power, there can be an overload condition and the generator tripping if the air-conditioner and the battery charger are operated simutaneously.
Two Solutions to this problem:
- Use a Hybrid energy configuration for the AC outlets drawing down the power from Lithium batteries (only Lithium will work in this scenario) and/or AC cutover. The battery charger is wired directly to the AC site power.
- Use an automated control of the battery charger so that it only uses the the AC power remaining after the Air-conditioner (and other AC power users) have taken sufficent power.
The most energy efficient (and fuel saving) Solution is No 2 because:
- The Portable Generator wil run at maximum output which is generally the most efficent
- The battery charger output is set at the remaining power, whereas in Scenario A, the battery charger is running at maximum output and the inverter is using power already routed through the battery charger to the batteries This is less efficient.
We are abe to guide you on the selection of best solution for you particuar setup.