These pages are from our new ebook on Lithium Batteries - Click to Read.
Researching Lithium Batteries for your 4WD/Camper/Caravan?
Reasons for going to Lithium with a return on Investment:
1. 100% Efficiency with Solar Panels. AGM batteries are 75%. You get more performance from your existing solar panels with Lithium batteries.
2. Deep Capacity: Run them down to 20% and sleep peacefully. Lithium loves deep cycling. Your kids will inherit the batteries before you reach the design cycle count. DONT WORRY ABOUT CYCLES. You can therefore purchase a 125Ah Lithium which will have a similar usefull capacity as 200Ahrs of AGM.
3. Maintenance Free: AGM batteries require your attention to make sure they are fully charged periodically to prevent sulphation. You have to be on your toes at times. This is stressfull. Not so with Lithium. Set and forget. The on-board computer does the rest.
4. Lightweight: Shed kilograms upon kilograms of dead weight. Lighter weight reduces maintenance costs and breakdowns overall.
However, there are a couple of things to understand and get right when making your investment:
5. Read why storage mode is so important for Lithium Batteries. Storing them at 100% for a prolonged period will reduce capacity. Do NOT use storage mode in Redarc Manager systems if storing for more than a month.
6. Every leading Lithium battery manufacturer can parallel connect their batteries safely and assuredly. Consider multiple batteries for larger capacity. It spreads the risk and increases max discharge current considerably.
Wanting to run Aircondioner from the Lithium batteries?
7. You can. If using a high capacity Lithium bank for running air-conditioners for long periods (we do up to 12 hours comfortably), it is important to have a smart Lithium Battery with CANbus control. These batteries have the battery monitor built-into the battery. The battery then gives all the information for the system to maximize capacity and reduce the risk of over-draining. Its so simple and has only 3 components. No Relays, No VSR, No spaghetti cabling.
Wanting to Install in the Engine Bay?
8. You can. Customers do this with these precautions. Always protect the side with an anti-heat transfer layer. The cycle count will reduce, but you will have moved your car on by then.
Wanting to Install outside the Vehicle - under a tray? Or in between the tray and the cab?
9. You can. If you run up to 1m through creek crossings then keep it above that level OR have it installed in a waterproof box. It doesnt need to breathe.
Wanting to use existing charging systems?
10. You can. However, gumtree those systems that have an automatic "de-sulphation" or "maintenance" mode. You cant use these. You can use BM-Pro, even the ones which say "do not use with Lithium" but check our University Post on the details. You can use nearly all the Redarc DC to DC chargers and the Enerdrive DC to DC (including the Chinese made one). However, consider by-passing the inefficient solar input in these devices and install a 98% efficient Victron Smart Solar charger. This will maximize your solar panel investment and get the Lithium fully topped up. (both Redarc and Enerdrive have a default Lithium setting less than the desireable maximum).
Still Unsure if its worth it?
Call us. We have a good healthy business and are committed to helping people get it right for the long term. We can, and do, advise regularly if its not a good investment to add to your existing setup. Save for the next rig!
Watch our Multiple Battery BMS operate perfectly with 2 x 200Ah Lithium batteries.
Our Simplest, Lightest and Most Advanced 12V Setup
- 350Ah CANbus Connected Lithium
- Victron Smart DC to DC 30A
- Victron Smart Solar 30A
- Victron Inverter/Charger 2,000W or 3,000W
- Victron Cerbo
- Weighs 47 kgs Plus Inverter charger selected
- All on your Smartphone
- 5" Smart Touch Sceen Optional
- FULL 5 Year Warranty on complete System
- Protection against Chemical Ageing of Lithium
Experience from over 3,000 installed Lithium batteries in RV's and boats since 2011 drove this development for the safest, easiest to operate Lithium battery: