- CAN-bus ALTERNATOR CHARGING
- 5kW Power Pack for Toyota 200/70 with 3kW 12V Buck Boost & Alternator & CANbus Control
5kW POWER PACKAGE:
This power package:
- Replaces the 12V Alternator with a 5kW 48V Alternator
- Feeds the vehicles power supply with a 3kW 48-12V Buck Boost Bi-directional power charger
- Connects in parallel to the 3kW Buck Boost , the CANbus Alternator Controller to charge Lithium batteries in the rear.
1) 100A 48V HIGH PERFORMANCE ALTERNATOR
Consider a standard factory alternator for Toyota 70 & 200 Series: (photo on right is a used alternator taken from 70 series. 200 series is same unit)
- Rated at 130A output at 6,000 RPM. About 1600W.
- When cruising at 100kph in a Diesel, the max power available from the alternator will be in the range of 130-150A depending on age and temperature.
- However, with a typical DC to DC fitted, in an hour of driving, this alternator can only deliver 30Ah. This is 360W of power per hour.
This pack will increase the maximum power output 12 times over.
Photo on right is the SAFIERY High Performance model specifically designed by Rapid Power in Brisbane Australia.
1. Increase the raw output with this high performance alternator
- With an efficiency approaching 85%, upgrade to this High Performance Alternator with a 100A rating. High output is achieved with:
- Interlaced magnetic leaves added to rotor.
- 10mm stud for power connection.
- Field control plug in addition to standard plug to suit Toyota.
- Optimized capacitor control to minimize DC ripple at this power.
Cruising at 100kph will give 5kw available output.
2. The Vehicles starter battery and vehicle power comes from a 3kW 12-48V CANbus Buck Boost Power Charger
- Charges a low side (12V) battery from 48V at 3000W at over 95% efficiency.
- Ruggedized design with 8mm thick aluminum baseplate with 5mm powder coated steel cover.
- Designed to meet MIL-STD-810G for harsh shock and vibration environment
- Compact size of only 220 x 150 x 25 mm.
- Light-weight at only 1.3kgs with a low-profile design
- Efficiency up to 97%, one of the highest power densities available.
- Operational temperature range is -40˚C to 100˚C.
- Safety disconnect switch for charging from or to the 12V battery.
- Reverse voltage protection, short circuit protection, as well as low standby current for the low side.
- Sufficient power for most winches
Safiery use an embedded CANbus controller with interface for complete control of the charger, as well as monitoring the current and the internal temperature.
The following functions are fully controlled via CAN interface:
- ON/OFF when ignition is off.
- Current and voltage set points
- Current direction
- Protection threshold: Under-voltage, Over-voltage and Over-temperature
- In addition, the 12-48V Hybrid CANbus Charger provides low side current monitoring and internal PCB temperature monitoring.
3. Installed in parallel: Digital CANbus Alternator Controller
- DC to DC Converters operate around 85-87% efficiency.
- They generate a lot of heat.
- Adding 3 of these in parallel from Victron will increase the output by 250% after taking into account efficiency losses. However, at idle, demanding 90A from the Alternator may cause it to overheat as the cooling fan speed is low.
- This is the problem with analog control. It is a “one size of output for all conditions”. To protect the Alternators, DC charging has to be limited. The user then misses out gaining the high power output at cruising speeds.
Digital CANbus controllers do not convert power, they control it.
- They are effectively 100% efficient.
- They change the performance of the alternator to deliver the maximum power to charge the batteries whilst monitoring the alternator and vehicle engine.
- They scale the power to maximum. In this case a comfortable 600% increase.
- They are perfect with Lithium batteries taking them to 100% SOC.
- Can be used with AGM, but remember AGM charging efficiency is very poor once over 80% SOC.
- They can be mounted in the engine bay.
- They are rugged and compact- only 190 x 100 x 60 mm
Starter Battery Backup
There is no need for a second AGM battery in the engine bay
- If the starter battery is low, when ignition is turned on, the 3kW Buck Boost will transfer charge current to the starter battery until the starter battery reaches a pre-set level.
- The start the vehicle.
4. Optional Smartphone App Display
If you dont have a method for monitoring the Vehicle Charging, then we have a slick option for you. By upgrading from a standard Shunt to a Smart Shunt, you will see on your smartphone:
- Charging Power in Watts.
- Battery Voltage being Charged.
- Alternator temperature.
- Charging History in kWh.
- Min/Max Battery Voltage.
- MinMax Alternator Voltage.
How easy is it to fit?
We ship the product to you pre-configured for your vehicle and lithium battery type. There are thirteen wires to connect on the plug in harness that we provide. Typical installation time in less than an hour for the controller. Adding a large gauge power cable may take longer. An added cable support bracket is provided so the size and style of these large cables does not damage the alternator off-road.
When was this developed?
Alternator controllers have been around for some time. However, higher charging demands from the marine industry, particularly with lithium batteries, could not be met with these controllers. A controller was released to the USA marine market in 2018 with a 300A+ capacity and since developed further by a specialist team with 15+ years of Alternator charging experience. Safiery contributed their deep Lithium charging know how. The result is a CANbus controller that connects to both Lithium battery(s) and vehicle CANbus for the RV market.
Will it work with any brand of Lithium battery?
Yes it can. The battery charging parameters especially at low temperatures has to be fully understood. With Safiery lithium, we have this modelled. For other batteries, the data needs to be supplied by the user.
Whay is it called CANbus?
With Safiery CANbus lithium batteries, the battery SOC and charging level parameters and temperature is transferred using CANbus. It is so simple. No optimization module is required.
Alternator is on full output and lithium stops accepting charge?
This is a major problem in the marine industry with high charging alternators. When the charging circuit is suddenly disconnected, the instantaneous power of the alternator has to be absorbed. This power can flow back and destroy the alternator. This is managed by the CANbus controller with precise battery voltage and current. If the lithium battery is also being charged by solar while driving, and the lithium rises to a full state of charge quickly, the CANbus controller will feather back the alternator power as 100% SOC is reached. There is no damage to the alternator. In the unlikely event of a sudden disconnect, the CANbus controller energises the ARGOFT device.
Some may call this a big step forward for vehicle charging?
It’s the biggest step forward we have seen since the advent of the DC to DC more than 25 years ago. It is the perfect match for Lithium systems.
- Perfect solar backup in poor weather.
- Perfect primary charging source when there is not enough roof space for solar.
- Perfect for special vehicles with up to 5kW Inverters on board.
- Perfect genset replacement for Marine market with medium to large alternators.
Can we adjust the settings?
Inside the unit, there are a series of dip switches that enable you to change settings for battery type and size. This is a CANbus controllers and Safiery can adjust up to 100 parameters for special applications. Once changed, the firmware is not affected by power off.
Are there other Optimization Modules to suit alternative vehicles?
We are starting with the Optimization Modules to suit Toyota and to suit Mercedes Benz Sprinters as these are dominant brands in their class. This is a software mobule pre-loaded to suit the output parameters to suit a 70 series and 200 series.
We will release modules for other brands in the future.
What can we see on the Victron Display
The Power Generated by the Alternator is displayed in Watts.
The Alternator Master Power Isolator can be turned on/off from the Victron Touch Display.
PRIMARY POWER WHEN TOURING
After camping overnight and driving till midday to next campsite, a CAN Controlled alternator will be a primary source of power. The energy delivered in a 1-3 hour drive will replenish most systems.
BACKUP POWER WHEN CAMPING
After finding the perfect campsite, a CAN Conrolled alternator will be a backup source of power. In poor weather, or if touring southern Victoria or tasmania, back-up power is essential.
With 90A of alternator power available, a depleted 200Ah Lithium will take just over 2 hours to fully replenish. Selected 12V alternators produce 70A at idle. Just idling the engine is now a viable backup to solar as a primary power source in poor weather.
What is the Wiring?